Massacre at New Year’s celebration in Istanbul club kills scores

The shooting attack on New Year’s Eve revelers in Istanbul has all the markings of an ISIS job.

A terrorist believed to have been dressed in a Santa Claus costume opened fire at the crowded Reina nightclub in Istanbul during New Year’s celebrations, killing at least 39 people and wounding close to 70 in what the province’s governor described as a terror attack.

Gov. Vasip Sahin said the terrorist, armed with a long-barreled weapon, killed a policeman and a civilian outside the club at around 1:15 a.m. on Sunday before entering and firing on people partying inside. He did not say who may have carried out the attack.

“Unfortunately, (he) rained bullets in a very cruel and merciless way on innocent people who were there to celebrate New Year’s and have fun,” Sahin told reporters.

Private NTV news channel said the terrorist entered the Reina nightclub in Istanbul’s Ortakoy district dressed in a Santa Claus outfit.

Interior Minister Suleyman Soylu said the man was still on the run, adding that “efforts to find the terrorist are continuing.”

“Our security forces have started the necessary operations. God willing, he will be caught in a short period of time,” the minister said.

Police with riot gear and machine guns, backed up by armored vehicles, blocked the area close to the club, one of Istanbul’s most popular night spots. Several ambulances flashing blue lights arrived on the scene, some taking wounded to hospitals.

Read  Close, but not close enough: Turkey election going to a runoff

‘Truly Inhuman Savagery’

At least 15 of the dead were foreign nationals, Soylu said, without providing information on their nationalities. Five of the victims were identified as Turkish nationals while authorities were still trying to identify the rest of the victims. At least 69 people were being treated in hospitals, four in serious condition, Soylu said.

A young Israeli woman, Lian Zahar, was murdered in the attack. Her friend was moderately wounded, a third Israeli friend sustained light wounds and a fourth escaped unharmed.

Three or four of the Turkish victims may have been employees at the nightclub, Soylu said, calling the attack “a massacre, a truly inhuman savagery.”

The minister said the terrorist is believed to have left the club wearing “different clothing” to those he had worn when entering the club and that he had carried out the assault alone.

“Four of the injured are in very serious condition,” said Health Minister Recep Akdag. “There are several foreign nationals among the wounded.”

Some customers jumped into the waters of the Bosporus to escape the attack, the NTV report said.

US Condemns ‘Horrific Terrorist Attack’

The White House condemned what it called a “horrific terrorist attack” and offered help to Turkey.

White House spokesman Eric Schultz said President Barack Obama was briefed on the attack by his national security team and asked to be updated as the situation developed. Obama is vacationing in Hawaii this week with his family.

Read  Close, but not close enough: Turkey election going to a runoff

National Security Council spokesman Ned Price said the attack on “innocent revelers” celebrating New Year’s shows the attackers’ savagery.

“Our thoughts are with victims and their loved ones. We continue to work to prevent these tragedies,” European Union foreign policy chief Federica Mogherini tweeted.

NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg said on Twitter, “Tragic start to 2017 in Istanbul. My thoughts are with those affected by the attack on people celebrating New Year and with the Turkish people.”

An estimated 600 people were celebrating inside the club that is also frequented by famous locals, including singers, actors and sports stars. Several shocked revelers were seen fleeing the scene after the attack, and the music fell silent.

Terror-Ridden Turkey

The country has been rocked by a series of deadly attacks in 2016 carried out by the Islamic State (ISIS) group or Kurdish militants, killing more than 180 people.

On Dec. 10, a double bomb attack outside soccer stadium — located near the Reina nightclub — killed 44 people and wounded 149 others. The attack was claimed by Turkey-based Kurdish militant group, the Kurdish Freedom Falcons. Nine days later, an off-duty Turkish riot policeman assassinated Russian Ambassador Andrei Karlov at a photo exhibition in the capital, Ankara. The government has suggested that a movement led US-based Muslim cleric Fethullah Gulen was behind the killing — an accusation the cleric has denied.

Read  Report: Turkish authorities arrest 11 members of alleged Mossad spy ring

Justice Minister Bekir Bozdag vowed that Turkey will press ahead with its fight against violent groups. “Turkey will continue its determined and effective combat to root out terror,” he said on Twitter.

Security measures were heightened in major Turkish cities, with police barring traffic leading up to key squares in Istanbul and Ankara. In Istanbul, 17,000 police officers were put on duty, some camouflaged as Santa Claus and others as street vendors, Turkey’s Anadolu news agency reported.

By: AP and World Israel News Staff