Biden: War proves status quo not working, two-state solution way forward

‘When this crisis is over, there has to be a vision of what comes next, and in our view it has to be a two-state solution’

By Meir Dolev, World Israel News

President Joe Biden on Wednesday said that the war against Hamas following its brutal attack against Israel proved that a two-state solution was the only way to move forward.

“There’s no going back to the status quo as it stood on October 6,” he said in a joint press conference with Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese.

“That means ensuring that Hamas can no longer terrorize Israel and use Palestinians civilians as human shields. It also means that when this crisis is over, there has to be a vision of what comes next, and in our view it has to be a two-state solution,” he said.

Biden also admitted that he had advised Israel to delay its ground operation to secure the release of more hostages, but said he hadn’t demanded it of Israel.

“What I have indicated to [Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu] is, that if that’s possible, to get these folks out safely, that’s what he should do. It’s his decision. I did not demand it. I’ve pointed out to him if it’s real, it should be done,” Biden said, adding that the hostages were “in jeopardy.”

Read  Dozens of nations cease funding for UNRWA after its members were involved in the Oct. 7th massacre

“Israel has the right and I would add a responsibility to respond to the slaughter of our people. And we will ensure Israel has what it needs to defend itself against these terrorists, that’s a guarantee,” Biden said.

Warning Iran, he went on: “We have had troops in the region since 9/11 to go after ISIS… in the region, having nothing to do with Israel at all. My warning to the Ayatollah was that if they continue to move against those troops, we will respond and he should be prepared. It has nothing to do with Israel.”

Earlier in the day, the Wall Street Journal reported that the U.S. was pressuring Israel to postpone the ground assault.

In a primetime address on Wednesday, Netanyahu reaffirmed Israel’s commitment to a ground incursion.

“Details regarding the timing, strategy, and the extensive considerations behind this decision, most of which remain confidential, will not be disclosed,” he said.