Israel strikes Hamas targets, responds to Saturday night rocket fire

Although no group has officially claimed responsibility for the launch, the IDF tweeted that they “hold Hamas responsible.” 

By Lauren Marcus, World Israel News

Israeli Air Force fighter jets and helicopters struck several Hamas targets in the Gaza Strip during the early hours of Sunday morning, hours after rockets fired from Gaza on Saturday night damaged an empty warehouse in the southern Israeli city of Ashkelon.

“Two rocket ammunition manufacturing sites, some underground infrastructure, and a military compound,” were targeted, according to the IDF’s official Twitter account. Hamas has yet to report any casualties.

Although no group has officially claimed responsibility for the launch, the IDF tweeted that they “hold Hamas responsible.”

A statement issued by the IDF adds that the military takes “all terror activity against Israel very seriously and is prepared and willing to act as resolutely as necessary against attempts to harm Israeli citizens and its sovereignty.”

The military is reportedly investigating why the Iron Dome missile defense system did not intercept the rocket fire, which struck the building in Ashkelon.

Read  Mass exodus of Gazans from Rafah as IDF operation looms

Shortly after the rocket was fired, an IDF tank fired a mortar shell at a Hamas position in the Gaza Strip, without having the proper clearance to do so. The IDF is investigating that incident as well.

Although Hamas is currently engaging in ceasefire talks with Israel, likely due to Qatari pressure, Saturday night’s incident is just the latest in an escalation of conflict with Israel.

The IDF revealed last month that its intelligence units discovered a Hamas-sponsored terror tunnel, stretching from Khan Younis in the Gaza Strip to Kibbutz Kissufim, some five miles away.

The tunnel was destroyed.

Last week, two rockets fired at Israel from Gaza fell in open areas, causing no casualties or damage. Hamas reportedly contacted Israel through a third party, explaining that the launch was a technical malfunction due to heavy lightning storms in the area.

The IDF appeared to accept the explanation, and no retaliatory action was taken by Israel.