US hints at more strikes unless Iran-linked groups halt attacks

There is growing concern that the Israel-Hamas conflict could spread through the Middle East and turn US troops at isolated bases into targets of heavier weaponry.

By The Algemeiner

US Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin on Monday left open the possibility of more strikes against Iran–linked groups if attacks against American forces in Iraq and Syria don’t stop, hours after overnight US air strikes in Syria.

The US military carried out its third air strike in as many weeks in Syria late on Sunday, targeting a training facility near the city of Albu Kamal and a safe house near the city of Mayadeen.

The strikes came after at least 40 attacks against US and coalition troops in Iraq and Syria by Iran-backed forces in recent weeks, as regional tensions mount over the Israel-Hamas war. At least 45 US troops have suffered traumatic brain injuries or minor wounds.

“These attacks must stop, and if they don’t stop, then we won’t hesitate to do what’s necessary, again, to protect the troops,” Austin told reporters at a news conference in Seoul.

Austin said the latest air strikes in eastern Syria targeted facilities used by Iran‘s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC), a US-designated terrorist organization, and related groups.

Read  Iran claims its first warship-launched missile successfully destroyed mock Israeli airbase

“These strikes are intended to disrupt and degrade the freedom of action of these groups, which are directly responsible for attacks against US forces in Iraq and Syria,” Austin said.

The United States has 900 troops in Syria, and 2,500 more in neighboring Iraq, to advise and assist local forces trying to prevent a resurgence of Islamic State, which in 2014 seized large swathes of both countries but was later defeated.

There is growing concern that the Israel-Hamas conflict could spread through the Middle East and turn US troops at isolated bases into targets of heavier weaponry than the smaller rockets and one-way drones seen so far.

The United States has deployed additional air defenses and sent warships and fighter aircraft to the region since the Israel-Hamas conflict erupted on Oct. 7, including two aircraft carriers, to try to deter Iran and Iran-backed groups.

The number of troops added to the region is in the thousands.

Reuters has reported that the US military was taking new measures to protect its Middle East forces during the ramp-up in attacks by suspected Iranian-backed groups and was leaving open the possibility of evacuating military families if needed.

Read  New polls show three quarters of American Jews feel unsafe following Oct. 7th

The measures include increasing US military patrols, restricting access to base facilities, and boosting intelligence collection, including through drone and other surveillance operations, officials say.

It was still unclear whether anyone was killed in the latest US strikes in Syria. A US official, speaking on condition of anonymity, said a US review was underway.