Iran misses targets in missile attack on Syria

Iran’s attack on Syria failed, as the majority of the Zulqifar missiles missed their target.

Iran’s missile attack into Syria this past Sunday was deemed a failure. Out of the seven missiles fired at Islamic State (ISIS)-held positions in the city of Deir el-Zour, only two were believed to have hit their target.

It was the first time the Islamic Republic had used missiles in 15  years. The regime said that the attacks were in response to twin ISIS terror attacks on the Iranian capital of Tehran earlier this month that killed 18 people and wounded 52.

Iran said it killed 360 terrorists in the missile attack. However, an IDF source dismissed the claim, telling Haaretz that the attacks were “a great deal less impressive than the media noise being made in Iran around the launch.”

Iran has been battling ISIS in Syria for years, offering military assistance to the Assad government through the Iranian Revolutionary Guards and its Hezbollah offshoot.

Israel Downplays Significance of Iranian Strike

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu sent a blunt message to Iran in wake of the attacks. “I have one message for Iran: Don’t threaten Israel” he warned. Defense Minister Avigdor Liberman echoed his sentiments, telling his Yisrael Beitenu faction that “Israel is not worried. Israel is prepared for every development. And we are prepared, we have no concerns or worries.”

IDF Chief of Staff Gadi Eisenkot also downplayed the significance of the Iranian strike. “Their achievement was less than what was reported in the media… It was far from a direct hit or what they have said,” he told the Herzliya Conference Tuesday evening.

By: Tzvi Lev, World Israel News