While Israel announced it will ease some Gaza restrictions amid a lull in violence, Minister Naftali Bennett expressed disapproval of any potential concessions to Hamas.
By: AP and World Israel News Staff
Israel says it plans to ease some restrictions on the Gaza Strip as Egypt attempts to broker an end to months of violent Palestinian riots, Hamas rocket attacks and arson terror, and retaliatory strikes by Israel.
A statement from Israeli Defense Minister Avigdor Lieberman’s office Tuesday says that if a current lull in violence continues, Israel will resume full operations at a key goods crossing, the Kerem Shalom crossing, and restore fishing limits Wednesday morning.
Israel tightened the restrictions earlier this month in response to incendiary balloons and kites launched from Gaza, which have sparked a wave of arson terror destroying thousands of acres of Israeli land to the tune of millions of dollars in damage.
Israel and Hamas have come close to serious conflict in recent weeks after four months of violence along Gaza’s border following Hamas-organized rioting there.
In response to the announcement regarding a potential long-term Gaza ceasefire agreement, Jewish Home chairman Naftali Bennett declared that his party would oppose the move.
While the cabinet is set to debate the ceasefire agreement on Wednesday morning, Bennett warned that a period of calm would provide the Hamas terror group, which rules Gaza, with a chance to prepare its next onslaught on the Jewish state.
Bennett also expressed disapproval of Liberman’s comments regarding Israel reopening the Kerem Shalom crossing Wednesday morning provided the current truce on the Gaza border holds.