Victims of Temple Mount terror attack identified as Druze policemen

Two Israeli Druze policemen critically injured in a terror attack outside the Temple Mount Friday morning have succumbed to their wounds.

Two Israeli policemen were critically wounded near the Temple Mount in the Old City of Jerusalem Friday morning when three terrorists opened fire near the entrance to the Temple Mount at approximately 7 a.m. Another victim was lightly injured.

United Hatzalah medics at the scene said that a fourth person was treated for shock.

Police shot and killed all three assailants.

The murdered victims were identified as 22-year-old Kamil Shnaan from the Druze village of Hurfeish and Haiel Satawa, 30, from the Druze village of Majar.

Israel Police Commissioner Roni Alsheich said: “This was a tough morning for the police. We have two people killed, officers, who paid the dearest price in this battle.”

Sitawe joined the Border Police as part of his mandatory national service instead of serving in the military, according to the Times of Israel. He joined the Israel Police in 2012 and has served in the unit responsible for securing the Temple Mount ever since.

Sitawe leaves behind a wife, a three-week-old son, his parents and three brothers.

“Shnaan joined the police directly after high school. He decided to stay on the police force seven months ago, signing on as a career officer.

“He was the youngest son of a former Labor Party Knesset member, Shachiv Shnaan. His engagement party to his girlfriend was to be held next week,” the Times reported.

He is survived by his parents, one brother and three sisters.

‘Courageous Policemen Prevented Greater Disaster’

In a statement of condolence to the victims’ families, President Reuven Rivlin said, “The murderous terrorist attack on the Temple Mount was stopped by the courageous Israeli policemen who prevented an even greater disaster. We will not allow murderous terrorists who desecrate God’s name and drag us into a bloody war and we will deal with terrorist with a hard hand. We owe a debt of life to our fallen sons. Our hearts are with the bereaved families during this difficult time, and we wish the injured a speedy recovery.”

Jerusalem Mayor Nir Barkat sent his “heartfelt condolences to the families of the two officers killed on behalf of all of Jerusalem’s residents.”

All three terrorists were Israeli citizens and residents of the town of Umm al-Fahm in the Haifa district. They were identified as Ahmed Mohammed Jabarin, 29; Mohammed Hamed Abed Alatif Jabarin, 19; and Mohamed Ahmed Mafdal Jabarin, 19.

Read  PA says limiting Arabs at Temple Mount on Ramadan is tantamount to 'holy war'

By: World Israel News Staff