US puts Israel on highest travel warning level as foreigners evacuate

US State Department warns Americans not to travel to Israel, citing military threats, as other states begin efforts to evacuate citizens stranded in Israel.

By World Israel News Staff

The United States State Department issued a travel advisory for Israel on Monday, raising the security alert to four, the highest level in the department’s foreign travel warning index.

Coming amid the ongoing war with Iran, including daily ballistic missile and suicide drone attacks, as well as the ongoing war with Hamas, the State Department wrote in its advisory on Monday: “Do Not Travel To: Israel due to armed conflict, terrorism, and civil unrest.”

“The security situation in Israel, including Tel Aviv and Jerusalem is unpredictable, and US citizens are reminded to remain vigilant and take appropriate steps to increase their security awareness as security incidents, including mortar and rocket fire and armed UAV intrusions and missiles, can take place without warning,” the State Department said.

Israel’s airports have been closed to civilian traffic since the launch of Operation Rising Lion last Friday, though travel is still possible by air via land crossings into Jordan and Egypt.

However, in contrast to efforts by the US government after the October 7, 2023, Hamas onslaught, the State Department is not working to facilitate the mass evacuation of American citizens from Israel, the US Embassy in Jerusalem said.

Read  'Worldwide caution' - US sharpens travel warning for Middle East

“The US Embassy is not in a position at this time to evacuate or directly assist Americans in departing Israel. Ben-Gurion Airport remains closed, and there are no commercial or charter flights operating from there.”

American government employees and their families in Israel have been directed to shelter in and near their residences until further notice.

The US Embassy’s branch office in Tel Aviv suffered damage earlier this week from the shockwaves of an Iranian ballistic missile, Ambassador Mike Huckabee said on Monday.

Meanwhile, citizens of several European countries gathered in Tel Aviv on Tuesday, including Poland and Austria, awaiting buses organized by their respective governments for evacuation home via flights departing from Egypt.

The Israeli Tourism Ministry has estimated that some 40,000 foreign tourists are currently stranded in Israel, including Diaspora Jewish youths visiting with the Birthright Israel organization, and visitors who had planned to attend Pride month events in Tel Aviv and Jerusalem.

The ministry said it is working to assist stranded tourists return home via either Jordan or Egypt, as well as to find accommodations for those unable to secure flights home through either country.

A limited number of foreign nationals, including some foreign government officials and Birthright Israel visitors, left Israel via the port of Ashdod on Tuesday, bound for Cyprus.

>