Gunman who murdered Israeli embassy staffers faces terror charges

Elias Rodriguez now charged as a terrorist for his May 2025 shooting attack outside a Jewish museum in Washington, D.C., that left two Israeli embassy employees dead.

By World Israel News Staff

Federal prosecutors have charged the gunman responsible for a deadly shooting attack on Israeli Embassy staffers last year with multiple terrorism charges, authorities announced Wednesday.

Last year, Elias Rodriguez, the 31-year-old Chicago man who shot and killed Israeli embassy staffers Yaron Lischinsky and Sarah Milgrim as they exited an event for young diplomats held at the Capital Jewish Museum in Washington in May 2025, was charged with murdering a foreign official, murder with a firearm, premeditated murder, and hate crimes.

In addition, Rodriguez now faces terrorism charges mandating a life sentence if he is found guilty, the US attorney’s office for the District of Columbia said in a statement.

“These additional terrorism-related charges carry a mandatory life sentence under D.C. Code,” said US Attorney Jeanine Ferris Pirro, “while also reflecting the reality that this act was in fact an act of terror.”

In total, Rodriguez now faces 13 charges in the updated indictment, including four new charges involving terrorism.

During his attack on May 21st, Rodriguez fired at least 20 shots from a semi-automatic handgun at 30-year-old Yaron Lischinsky, an Israeli-German dual citizen, and Sarah Lynn Milgrim, 26, an American national.

Read  Israel instructs Jews to keep low profile in Greece ahead of nationwide pro-Hamas protests

While he shot at the young couple, Rodriguez shouted “Free Palestine,” and later told authorities he carried out the deadly shooting in response to Israel’s war against the Hamas terror organization in the Gaza Strip.

If convicted, Rodriguez could face the death penalty, with Attorney General Pam Bondi indicating last month that prosecutors would seek a death sentence in the case.

FBI Assistant Director in Charge Darren B. Cox of the Washington Field Office said Wednesday that Rodriguez had written a manifesto in which he tried to “morally justify his actions and inspire others to commit political violence.”

“His alleged actions warrant the additional terrorism charges being announced today,” Cox said.

>