IDF foils major terror attack, 9 terrorists killed in Jenin gun battle

At least nine terrorists eliminated, over a dozen more wounded after massive gun battle breaks out in Jenin as Israeli forces foil large-scale planned terror attack. Abbas announces three-day mourning period.

By World Israel News Staff

A massive gun battle broke out in the Palestinian Authority-administered city of Jenin Thursday morning, after Israeli security forces entered the city as part of a counter-terror operation aimed at preventing a massive attack by the Palestinian Islamic Jihad terror group.

The incursion into Jenin was carried out jointly by the IDF, Border Police, and Yamam police special forces unit in a rare daytime operation which Israel’s military said Thursday morning was aimed at apprehending a senior Palestinian Islamic Jihad terrorist said to be orchestrating a “large terror attack.”

The Shin Bet internal security agency coordinated the operation, based on intelligence information it had received regarding the planned PIJ attack.

Palestinian Authority news outlets have reported that undercover Israeli forces entered Jenin inside a milk truck.

During the arrest operation, riots broke out, and armed terrorists opened fire on the Israeli forces.

Israeli security personnel returned fire, killing nine terrorists and wounding 20 more.

Thus far, the Ibn Sina Specialist Hospital and the Jenin Governmental Hospital have admitted 16 terrorists suffering gunshot wounds, with additional wounded terrorists reportedly still at the scene of the gun battle.

Read  Here's how and why US military aid to Israel helps America

An IDF drone aircraft was downed during the Jenin gun battle.

The Palestinian Authority media outlet WAFA identified two of the slain terrorists as 24-year-old Saeb Essam Mahmoud Azirqi and 26-year-old Izz al-Din Yassin Salahat.

A Jenin hospital reported a fifth fatality during the gun battle, claiming that a civilian, 60-year-old Magda Obaid, was shot and killed during the operation.

“During an attempt to arrest them, the wanted men opened fire and were killed in an exchange of fire,” the IDF stated.

“Three members of the PIJ cell were killed and a fourth was arrested. The wanted men, PIJ operatives, have been involved in recent extensive terror activity and are suspected of carrying out several shooting attacks against IDF units and planning other significant attacks.”

Local health officials said a number of rioters were treated after being exposed to tear gas.

Later in the day, Defense Minister Yoav Galant held a situation assessment together with the IDF chief-of-ztaff, director of the Israel Security Agency (Shin Bet) and other officials in Israel’s defense establishment.

“The State of Israel will continue to operate in any place and at any time against anyone who aims to harm the citizens of Israel. Our security forces are prepared for any development in the various arenas,” Galant stated.

Read  Don't defend ultra-Orthodox draft dodgers, says Haredi minister

Palestinian Authority Chairman Mahmoud Abbas announced a three-day mourning period for the dead terrorists.