Hamas says it backs Witkoff plan, Israeli says no breakthrough

Israel downplays Hamas claims it has accepted Witkoff’s proposal, saying no breakthrough has been reached amid reports that the number of hostages to be released remains key sticking point preventing a deal.

By World Israel News Staff

A senior Hamas official said on Tuesday that the terror group has agreed to the framework for a ceasefire attributed to White House Special Envoy to the Middle East Steve Witkoff, removing a key barrier to reaching an agreement with Israel.

Basem Naim, a member of the Hamas politburo, said that “In order to achieve a ceasefire and the withdrawal of IDF forces,” Hamas has accepted the Witkoff plan, adding that the terror group is now waiting for Israel to respond.

A day earlier, the Reuters news agency reported that a Palestinian source claimed that Hamas had agreed to back a deal on the basis of the Witkoff framework.

A senior Israeli official downplayed the report on Monday, stating that Hamas’ newest offer was unacceptable to Israel even as a starting point for talks.

“The proposal received by Israel cannot be accepted by any responsible government. Hamas has no genuine desire to move forward with a deal. Israel remains committed to the Witkoff framework.”

On Tuesday, Israel’s  Channel 13 broadcaster cited multiple senior Israeli officials who downplayed Naim’s statement, arguing that no breakthrough had been reached.

Read  Board of Peace: Dismantling Hamas tunnels will take over a decade

The deadlock now appears to revolve around the details of the Witkoff plan, including its precise duration, the number of living hostages to be released, the timing of their release, and whether Israel must commit to ending the war in Gaza.

Hamas has claimed that its offer to free 10 hostages in total – five living and five dead – during two separate handovers over the course of a 70-day ceasefire is consistent with the so-called Witkoff plan.

The terror group is also insisting that the deal not only include talks aimed at permanently ending the war, but a binding commitment from Israel, guaranteed by the US, that hostilities in Gaza will end.

Israel, by contrast, has called for the release of 10 living hostages, some number of deceased captives to be returned, and no commitment to end the war in Gaza. Jerusalem has also pushed for a 60-day ceasefire, instead of a 70-day truce, with the hostages to be freed on the first day of the ceasefire.

Despite the lingering differences, American and Israeli leaders have hinted at a possible impending breakthrough.

On Monday, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said in a video statement that there could be a major development in the next day or two regarding the hostages.

Read  'Hamas won't disarm, fearing Gazans' revenge' - Arab source

“I hope we will have news regarding the hostages today or tomorrow,” Netanyahu said.

According to a report by the Hebrew daily Yedioth Ahronoth, White House envoys Witkoff and Adam Boehler both told the families of hostages held in Gaza that a breakthrough in hostage deal talks could occur in the next few days.

>