Israel pushes back on Rafah reopening claims

Israeli officials quickly pushed back, saying there is currently no directive to open the Rafah crossing.

By World Israel News Staff

During a signing ceremony for the launch of President Donald Trump’s Board of Peace at the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland on Thursday, Palestinian official Ali Shaath claimed the Rafah border crossing would reopen next week.

Speaking in a video message, Shaath, who was named chair of the Palestinian National Committee for the Administration of Gaza, said the crossing would open in both directions.

The Rafah crossing, which connects southern Gaza to Egypt, has long served as a critical gateway for humanitarian aid deliveries and civilian movement. Its status has also remained a sensitive issue in negotiations, as Israel has sought to prevent Hamas from using the corridor to rebuild its military capabilities.

Israeli officials quickly pushed back, saying there is currently no directive to open Rafah and stressing that any move to reopen the crossing would require approval by the political leadership. A senior Israeli official added that Rafah will not open until Ran Gvili is returned.

A political source later clarified that “a special effort is underway to return Ran Gvili’s body, exhausting the information in our possession,” and said the cabinet will discuss both the issue and the Rafah crossing at the start of next week.

Read  Hamas must disarm before IDF withdrawal, Board of Peace demands

Nickolay Mladenov, a former U.N. Middle East envoy tapped to serve as director general of Trump’s newly launched Board of Peace initiative for Gaza, also indicated that preparations are moving forward.

In a post on X, he said he was “pleased that an agreement has been reached” to prepare for reopening the Rafah crossing.

He added that work is underway “to expedite the search for the remaining Israeli hostage,” and said officials are now coordinating the logistics needed to implement the agreement.

Israel has previously made clear it will keep the Rafah border crossing closed until Hamas and its Iran-backed allies return Gvili’s remains.

Trump has said in recent days that the United States will help bring Gvili home, stating at one point that officials believe they know where his remains are located.

US Middle East envoy Steve Witkoff also referenced Gvili during the Davos event, saying all hostages and remains have been returned except for one, and vowing that “we will bring that body home too.”

>