Lebanon to demand IDF withdrawal and permanent ceasefire with Israel

As temporary ceasefire with Israel set to expire, Beirut drafts list of demands for talks in Washington.

By World Israel News Staff

Lebanon will make a permanent ceasefire its first demand in direct talks with Israel in Washington on Thursday, as the current truce approaches its deadline, Asharq News reported Wednesday.

Sources close to the Lebanese presidential palace told Asharq that Beirut is not seeking another temporary extension, but a final halt to Israeli attacks. The current truce is set to expire at midnight Thursday, according to the report.

The ceasefire demand is one of five points Lebanon plans to raise in the talks. The others are an Israeli withdrawal from southern Lebanon, the return of displaced residents to their villages, the release of prisoners, and the deployment of the Lebanese army in the south.

The Lebanese delegation is expected to include former Lebanese ambassador to Washington Simon Karam, Ambassador to the United States Nada Hamadeh, and a military attaché, Asharq reported. The talks are being held under US sponsorship.

Sources close to the presidential palace said Lebanon’s initial position had been to refuse negotiations before a full ceasefire and a halt to strikes, demolitions, and destruction in towns and villages in southern Lebanon.

They said efforts are underway to ensure that the first round of talks produces “a final ceasefire” by Israel, rather than only another extension of the truce.

Read  WATCH: IDF uncovers Hezbollah weapons cache in south Lebanon

The talks come amid continued fighting despite the US-brokered ceasefire that took effect April 17.

The Associated Press reported that Hezbollah leader Naim Kassem called on the Lebanese government to withdraw from the Washington talks, describing direct negotiations with Israel as “concessions by Lebanese authorities” and urging a return to indirect negotiations through mediators.

Kassem said Hezbollah’s weapons were an internal Lebanese matter and should not be part of negotiations with Israel.

AP reported that he nevertheless said Hezbollah was prepared to cooperate in achieving the Lebanese government’s five demands, including a halt to hostilities, Israeli withdrawal, deployment of Lebanese troops south of the Litani River, release of Lebanese prisoners, and the return of displaced residents.

The diplomatic push follows a sharp escalation in recent days.

The IDF said Tuesday that it has conducted large-scale ground operations north of the Litani River, the deepest incursions since fighting resumed on March 2.

Lebanon’s Health Ministry said Israeli strikes Tuesday killed several people in Nabatieh, Jibchit, and Kfar Donin.

Israel struck Beirut for the first time since the ceasefire, saying it targeted a commander in Hezbollah’s Radwan force.

Prime Minister Nawaf Salam said then that high-level meetings with Israel were premature and that strengthening the ceasefire would be the basis for further negotiations. “Our minimum demand is a timetable for Israel’s withdrawal,” Salam said.

Read  Israeli troops kill Hezbollah terrorists in Lebanon encounter

Lebanese President Joseph Aoun has also ruled out a near-term meeting with Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, saying Lebanon must first secure a security agreement and a halt to Israeli attacks. “The timing is not right for a meeting with Netanyahu,” Aoun said last week, according to Reuters.

>